Sunday, August 21, 2011

Never walk away from a crasher in a funny jacket! Rule #115.

It's been a long time since I have written. It was probably a nice break for those of you who are tired of my rambling, incoherent writing. This long break was a result of my actually trying to enjoy summer, having an internship that I loved, and trying to forget that law school existed.

A lot has changed since the last post. I'm at a new school, in a new city. I've never lived in a city before, and it's been a very interesting experience. I smiled at someone on the street the other day, and she immediately checked her pockets and made sure her purse was still on her shoulder (apparently I give off the "I'm smiling because I just stole your stuff" vibe). I'm closer to family and pre-law school friends, but I had to leave my law school friends. That was the absolute hardest part of this transition. I had to leave the people that have become like family to me, the people that got me through the first year. I cannot begin to say how much I'm going to miss them. But there are some perks to living in a city. My apartment complex is crawling with med students. I'm going to stick to my "only marry for money" pledge and bag me a future surgeon. I can actually order food after 9 p.m. on weeknights. The cross on the steeple of the church across from my apartment hasn't lit me on fire yet (that's not really a perk, just more of a miracle).

I'm not sure why I'm posting now. Perhaps because I still haven't done my reading assignments for my classes (which begin tomorrow). Perhaps because this is my way of dealing with this new life. Perhaps because I'm a bit perturbed that there is a homeless man passed out in front of my apartment door (and he has been there for two days). Thankfully he moved from a sitting position to a lying down position, so he does actually have a pulse.

Tomorrow begins a new chapter. People talk about how exciting it is to begin a new chapter of your life, but they rarely talk about how hard it is to leave the previous chapter. Unless you're talking about a law school textbook, in which case it's not difficult at all to leave the previous chapter. I wish all of my fellow law students the best of luck in this upcoming year. After this, we're two-thirds of the way done. Hopefully we can get out alive and with no ulcers (I've had two in two years).

Maybe I'll go for three ulcers in three years.

Rule #76: No excuses, play like a champion.

No comments:

Post a Comment